Livermore, California Fire Station #6
First installed at the fire department hose cart house on L Street in 1901. In 1903 it was moved to the new Station #1 on First and McLeod Street and survived the renovation of the Firehouse in 1937.
In 1976 it was moved with full police and fire truck escort, under the watch of Captain Kirby Slate, to its present home at Fire Station #6, 4550 East Avenue., Livermore California in 1976.
It was hooked to a separate power source at 120V according to frank Maul retired City Electrician, with no interruptions since.
The improved incandescent light was invented by Adolphe A Chaillet, and made by the Shelby Electric Company. It is hand blown glass with a carbon filament. Wattage began at 60 watts and now shines at 4 watts. It burns continuously as a nightlight over the fire trucks.
Declared the oldest known working light bulb by the Guinness Book of World Records and by Ripley’s Believe It or Not in 1972. And the light bulb was featured on TV with Charles Kurault on,On the Road with Charles Kurault.
Declarations from the President of the U.S., Congress, Senate, State Senate, Assembly and Shelby Ohio hang on the wall below the bulb. In 2007 it again recognized in Guinness and Ripley’s books.
The closest competitors to the bulb are:
#2- Installed on Sept 21, 1908 Byers Opera House Texas.
#3- Installed in 1912 in Gasnich Supplies Hardware New York City.
#4- Installed in 1926 in a fire house in Magnum, Oklahoma.
#5- Installed in 1930 in Martin & Newby Electrical Shop in Ipswich, England in 1930 and burned out in January of 2001.